Wednesday, August 13, 2008

More Garden Progress :~)

Here is a picture of the progress we have made in the kitchen garden.
It's hard to see but we have one cinderblock terraced bed nearly completed and a large wooden raised bed finished. I have 3 oak half barrels with 2 of my tomato plants and our zucchini plants. In the lower left hand corner you can see the beginnings of a Flame grape vine. We will let the grapes grow up and over the gateway arbor. The other night my dear hubby decided that in the spring we will expand this garden area another 5 feet. YAY!

We salvaged the large 4x6 timbers for the large raised bed from a local demo site. All we paid for was the screws to put it together. Praise God.

The smaller terraced bed will be cinderblock for now. We need to buy a few more to finish it off. If we come across any more salvaged wood we will remake it next Spring.

I have some pole beans growing, my tomatoes and zucchini are doing well, and the strawberries are pretty much done for the season.

I can hardly wait to get the garden soil put in the beds, give it a heavy dose of compost, and put in some lettuce, spinach, and cabbage for the cooler months ahead.

The deepest end of the big raised bed will be perfect for carrots. The shallow end gets more sun, so I will have to decide what to put there. Maybe my fall salad greens under a cloche? We will have to see.

For any of you who live in the Pacific Northwest, I came across a wonderful book that has helped me so much. It is by Steve Solomon and is called "Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades". I was able to get it very easily from the library.

This sweet little flower grew from seed. My 6 year old little man planted it as a Mother's Day present for me. SO sweet.
We are getting this much Zucchini daily now. What a blessing. I have been trying out all sorts of recipes. I will post a few of our favorites soon.
Our beans are lagging a little behind, but I have hope that we will still have a decent harvest.
This is a homemade rain barrel that feeds rain water from one of our garage gutters. I would so love one of these oak barrel ones. Maybe next year.

I pray that you all are having a blessed and fun-filled Wednesday. In God's Love, Tami

2 comments:

  1. My favorite way to eat zucchini is sliced thin like chips with a little dip or salad dressing to dip in.

    Blessings!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen garden looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete