Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Rocks In My Dryer

...not literally, but it sure sounds like it.

My clothes dryer has seen better days and I am sad to report it needs a costly repair. I am nearly positive that the repair man is going to tell us a new one would be cheaper. UGH!
Our dryer does get a mighty workout, so I am not surprised.

I would really like to know if there are any families out there that *do not* use a clothes dryer at all.

During the summer months I would say that I use my clothesline about 80% of the time. I am wondering how hard it would be to just line dry all of my clothes, even inside during the winter.

Any tips, suggestions, and equipment ideas would be so helpful.

We are having a lovely and much cooler day here. I am thinking of making a yummy *Pasta Lasagna* for dinner. It is a family favorite. I will post a recipe later.

I pray that you are all having a blessed and productive Tuesday. In God's Love,Tami

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tami,

    Since I live in a part of the country that never sees snow and rarely temps below 38 degrees, we are able to line dry year round. However, my dad lives in the Bitterroot Mountains of Montana where winter temps can drop well below 0 for extended periods of time. He line dries outside during the summer AND line dries indoor during the late autum, winter and early spring.

    For indoor drying during colder months he uses a pully operated drying system that lifts the laundry up to the ceiling, where most of the warm air from his wood stove lingers. His laundry dries just as fast as when outdoors in the summer using this system. Lehman's non-electric catalog has one similar to the one my dad built. It is called Space-Saving Laundry Airer, item #105-5315, price $57.95. You can order by mail or order on-line at www.Lehmans.com. We've purchased many items from Lehman's and have always been very satisfied with their service and quality merchandise.

    If your husband is crafty and handy like my dad, he may be able to make one himself for less money - either way, you can view a photo of it on their web-site.

    I hope this info helps you in your search for more economical and "green" laundry solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tami, I wish you lived closed by so that you could have mine. I stopped using my dryer for a year now, in fact since I moved to the cottage. I use clothes dryer pretty much all year round. I pop them up all over the house they store quite quickly by the freezer in the kitchen.

    In the winter I place them by the furnace - it is in the kitchen - and the clothes dry real well.

    They do take a bit to dry, but I don't mind, I just plan accordingly.

    I hope this helps :)

    mari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from Australia Tami - we don't use our dryer very often - only during a wet week. Even though we don't get snow, I usually hang our clothes outside, picking the clear days. It is winter here now. Dryers wear clothes out faster and can shrink them too! I occasionally have to use a little folding clothes rack.
    We don't have a dishwasher either - we all take turns washing up - even daddy. He says we have eight dishwashers :) It is a sociable time too. Plus we have never had a television, which makes for a peaceful productive evening!
    Blessings from Barbara

    ReplyDelete