Tuesday, September 25, 2012

generations


I should have been a historian, or a genealogist, or a anthropologist of some kind. If I could go back and tell my younger self to go in this direction.......I think it would have been cool.
Not that it is too late.
I have been doing some serious digging into my family history. Last year, I spent about a month working on my dad's side with quite a bit of luck. I was able to go back about 8 generations in Sweden. What a thrill.
Last week, I got the bug again. If I am good at one thing, it is research. I am persistent for sure.
I started looking into my mom's side. Wow.
There are family lines that are documented going all the way back to 1600's. We are talking early colonists, and Quakers, and other truly fascinating stuff. Other family members seem to have appeared out of thin air. How can someone have no paper trail ?
I have just about exhausted most of the lines. It is amazing to me to look back several hundred years. I am going to keep better records for my children and grandchildren. I would like to have this all worked out for them, so it can just be added to as the generations unfold.
I am thinking a large hardbound journal, kept with all my research. I would like each family group to have their own page. Eventually, I would draw out the entire family tree.
This is a lot of work, but so worth it.

Have a blessed Tuesday, Tami

2 comments:

  1. I think that is a great idea! My daughter did some internet digging and found ellis island docket tickets for some of my grandparents from poland. Unfortunately she could not find all of them. We bookmarked them and have them saved. I have slips of paper with great grandparent names for the kids and I THINK I know where that paper is located, which is half the battle! How cool is it that you can go back to the 1600's!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tami,

    It is such a blessing to discover where we come from. We are fortunate to have a 2nd cousin who has done the exhaustive work of tracing our family tree back to Ireland - she is currently researching our family roots in Ireland. Each family member has a book & whenever we have an addition (marriage, births, adoptions) or death we fill out a form and mail it to her. She updates the page applicable and sends out an updated copy to ALL family members - there are more than 1,000 of us spread out across the U.S. Although I've not met a large majority of my extended family, it is awesome to have our history and a wonderful family member who helps us all stay updated.

    Blessings on your new endeavor.

    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete