Thursday, September 20, 2007

Friendship Cups

As autumn nears, I find myself in a familiar place of nostalgia that I visit each year.

I dig out the photo albums and warmly remember the glorious-ness of seasons past. I look forward to late night visits with my 86 year old Grandma, where we dig through boxes of old photographs, eat Pecan Sandies, and sip tea from her collection of "friendship cups".



She presented me with this very precious "friendship cup" for Christmas a few years ago. And thus, began my collection of tea cups and saucers. Each set has a story of love and friendship behind it.

Apparently, "friendship cups" were a tradition during the first half of the twentieth century, when ladies would build up their collections by presenting and receiving these sweet treasures. I wonder what became of this lovely tradition.

I have so enjoyed sharing this loving exchange with my closest friends and family, and I have a beautiful collection. I love drinking from them, and each set has been christened upon receiving it, ceremoniously welcoming it to the group.

One day my collection will be spread among my family in hopes that my daughter and granddaughters would carry on the tradition.

I pray you all have a warm and cozy night with your loved ones. Enjoy a warm cup of tea out of your favorite teacup, while you're at it.

Blessings to all. In God's Love, Tami

No comments:

Post a Comment