Monday, February 6, 2012

a knitting basket


I take my knitting projects with me everywhere. I really wanted a basket with handles that was sturdy enough to stand up on it's own. I found a lovely basket at a local thrift store. It is exactly what I wanted, but really needed to be lined to keep my knitting projects from snagging. I love the size, it is the perfect for hauling around an in-progress sweater and a skein of yarn.
Now for the liner........


A thrifted 1980's shetland wool sweater. I felted the sweater, stitched in an oval piece where I cut the sweater below the armholes, which created a flat bottom to the liner,  and cut 2 slits near the top so it would slip over the handles. Pretty simple.



I stitched up the cut I made for the handles with gray wool yarn.
I may do a little more finishing work, like a blanket stitch around the bottom edge and maybe some embellishment. Maybe even a few pockets. I love how it turned out, practical and pretty.
Have a blessed day,
Tami


2 comments:

  1. Soooo cute. Very, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never thought to do this! I love the felted look and it fits the basket perfectly.

    ReplyDelete